Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Jimin Park

Jimin Park received her MFA in Jewelry and Metalsmithing from the Rhode Island School of Design in 2007. Currently, she lives, works, and teaches in Washington DC.

Imagination generates product. My body of work is manifested in theory and traditional insight regarding imagination as a core. After I majored in Metalsmithing in college, I worked for a high-end genuine European antique jewelry gallery. Spending my childhood with cartoons and comics, major culture industries in Asian countries, I found myself still enjoying them. These sculptural and cultural environments culminated in a deeper inquiry of jewelry.


My sarcastic approach can be attributed to a parody of reality. I am striving to revive classical forms, combined with contemporary approaches. In the series of Wonderland (2009), plastic materials and found objects were merged using the cartoonish inspirations: exaggerated shapes, bright colors, and surreal narratives. The bitter reflection projects the scene of abundant fakeness in the reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment